Guidelines on managing arterial hypertension have been published by the Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension and the European Society of Cardiology. They cover:
• Definition and classification of hypertension.
• Diagnostic evaluation.
• Evidence for therapeutic management of hypertension.
• Therapeutic approach: when to initiate treatment, goals of treatment, cost-effectiveness of treatment.
• Treatment strategies: lifestyle, smoking cessation, moderate alcohol consumption, sodium restriction, weight reduction, exercise, pharmacological therapy.
• Therapeutic approach in special conditions: elderly, diabetes mellitus, cerebrovascular disease, coronary heart disease and heart failure, atrial fibrillation, nondiabetic renal disease, hypertension in women, metabolic syndrome, resistant hypertension, hypertensive emergencies, malignant hypertension.
• Treatment of associated risk factors.
• Screening and treatment of secondary forms of hypertension.
European Heart Journal Advance Access. published 116/2007